May 28, 2019 – The Manitoba Corn Growers Association (MCGA), Manitoba Wheat and Barley Growers Association (MWBGA), Manitoba Flax Growers Association (MFGA), National Sunflower Association of Canada (NSAC) and Winter Cereals Manitoba Inc. (WCMI) continue to engage with their membership on the proposed amalgamation into a new not-for-profit organization. The process continues to be led by the steering committee comprised of directors and staff from the MCGA, MWBGA, MFGA, NSAC and WCMI with the assistance of consultant Rob Hannam of Synthesis Agri-Food Network. Myron Krahn and Leonard Wiebe continue to sit on the Steering Committee as the MCGA representatives.
Activities to Date: Over the past few months, the following activities have been undertaken as part of the consultation process:
- In December 2018, the updated proposal exploring legal amalgamation was released (see news release at http://mbcrops.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/News-Release-Amalgmation-Vote-in-February-2020-clean_Dec-12.pdf). The full proposal can be found at mbcrops.ca. The proposal includes information on the governance and organization structure, legal process and timelines to amalgamate. One of the largest changes in the proposal, based on feedback from memberships, is the governance structure of the proposed new organization which includes four crop committees made up of 34 farmer delegates that will focus on the research and market development specific to each crop type.
- A Question & Answer document was also released providing a quick snapshot of some of the most common questions received by the steering committee. It is available at http://mbcrops.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Manitoba-Amalgamation-QA-December-2018.pdf.
- To provide information on the updated proposal to members, webinars were held on January 15 and January 29, 2019. The webinars were recorded and are available for viewing at mbcrops.ca if farmer members were unable to participate on those days. The slide deck used for the presentation is also available at www.mbcrops.ca.
- The five Manitoba commodity groups also gathered feedback from their respective memberships at the annual general meetings held as part of the 2019 CropConnect Conference on February 13 and 14, 2019.
- Members of the steering committee also continue to meet with and update the Manitoba Farm Products Marketing Council and the Minister of Agriculture Ralph Eichler.
- A Twitter account was created to provide updates through this social media platform. Please follow @MBCrops for updates leading up to the amalgamation vote in February 2020.
Moving Forward in 2019. Additional information on the proposed amalgamation will be released throughout 2019. The by-laws of the new organization will be shared with the five memberships. The amalgamation agreement will also be distributed for viewing. There will also be further information on the board and committee structures, including the appointment of the interim board of directors and committee delegates, and the election process which will ensure quick election of crop committee delegates to replace interim delegates while allowing for transition of core knowledge and mentorship.
Vote in February 2020. The intent of the steering committee remains that the vote will occur in-person at the 2020 annual general meetings of the five commodity organizations. The AGMs are held during the 2020 CropConnect Conference on Wednesday, February 12, 2020 and Thursday, February 13, 2020.
MCGA is committed to ensuring producers have the information needed for them to make their decision. Please do not hesitate to contact any of the MCGA directors, or directors of any of the five commodity organizations, with your comments, feedback or concerns. You can also email consultant Rob Hannam directly at email@example.com. Look to future newsletters for updates and our website for information.
Key Q & A’s – Manitoba Amalgamation Q & A_December 2018
For more information visit http://www.mbcrops.ca