The MCGA, along with Manitoba Pulse and Soybean Growers, Manitoba Flax Growers Association, National Sunflower Association of Canada, and the Manitoba Wheat and Barley Growers Association signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) in May 2017 to explore the potential merger of the five associations.
Rob Hannam of Synthesis Agri-Food Network was hired to develop a proposal and road map for membership of the five organizations to consider. Between May and December, the steering committee comprised of staff and two directors from each organization met with Rob to develop the proposal. Myron Krahn and Leonard Wiebe represents the MCGA on the steering committee.
The ‘Manitoba Commodity Organization Amalgamation Proposal’ was released to membership for review in December 2017. A series of four consultation meetings were held in January, and further discussion was held at the five individual annual general meetings in February 2018. The report is available at www.mbcrops.ca, as well as a summary of the comments received during the January 2018 consultations.
Next steps of the process are:
- Renew MOU in April 2018
- Develop the rest of the details during spring/summer 2018
- Incorporate the feedback and suggestions received during the consultation period
- Develop plans for a Research and Agronomy team highlighted within the report
- Prepare a draft budget
- Create an organizational chart
- Meet with Manitoba Agriculture and the Manitoba Farm Products Marketing Council to discuss progress to date and steps moving forward
- Plan and hold regional member meetings in fall 2018
- Share detailed plan for farmer members to review
- Vote of members to take place at the 2019 Annual General Meeting
The above steps and timelines are targets the Steering Committee will try to achieve. However, if more time is needed to ensure ‘it is done right’, timelines can be adjusted.
Please provide any comments to any of the MCGA directors or general manager Pam de Rocquigny. The MCGA will continue to update progress to our membership through our newsletter.